Seaton Sluice village, Northumberland.
Details
Accessibility
Brief description
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaton_Sluice
"Seaton Sluice is a village in Northumberland. It lies on the coast at the mouth of the Seaton Burn (a small river), midway between Whitley Bay and Blyth. In the 2021 census the village had a population of 2,956.[1]"
Address
Co-op Food - Seaton Sluice - Beresford Road
Beresford Road
Seaton Sluice
Whitley Bay NE26 4DP
Phone
Website
https://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Seaton%20Sluice.htm
Directions
Opening Times
Always check with the venue directly for up-to-date information including opening times and admission charges as they may be subject to change
Transport
Amenities
2024: "Seaton Sluice contains the following public houses:
- The King’s Arms – the oldest pub in the village, situated right next to the bridge leading to Rocky Island. It was constructed in the mid-eighteenth century as the overseer’s house, but later became a pub.
- The Waterford Arms – situated above the quay. It is named in honour of Susanna, Marchioness of Waterford, granddaughter to Lord Delaval, who inherited the estate in 1822. The pub occupies the site of the brewery that supplied beer to the ships, as well as to the glassworkers at the bottleworks.
- The Melton Constable – built in 1839, on the north side of the burn. It is named after Melton Constable, the Norfolk town associated with the Astley family who inherited the Delaval estates in 1814.
- The Delaval Arms – situated at the south end of Hartley.
- The Astley Arms – situated at the north end of Seaton Sluice. It is named in honour of the Astley family (see above).
There is also Seaton Sluice Working Men's Club near the Waterford Arms.
The Octagon, is a small castellated building to the east of the Waterford Arms which is grade II listed.[13] It was built sometime before 1750 as the Harbour Office. It has been suggested that it was designed by Sir John Vanbrugh but there is no definitive evidence for this. It is now a private art gallery.[14]
Holywell Dene is a tree-lined valley through which the Seaton Burn flows to Seaton Sluice. The valley contains paths running alongside the burn and is maintained by the group 'Friends of Holywell Dene'. There is a ruined folly on the north bank of the dene known as 'Starlight Castle'. This was built by Sir Francis Delaval in 1750, according to legend after accepting a bet that he could build a home for a lady friend in a day. As it was a multi-arched stone building (left), presumably the bet was lost.
North of the harbour mouth, past Sandy Island, are Blyth Sands: a wide, sandy beach backed by sand dunes, stretching all the way to Blyth Harbour."
+ The Watch House Museum
Rocky Island,
Seaton Sluice
Travel Information
For further travel information please see: www.traveline.info
Or call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33
(Calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company's access charge)