St Nicholas Church, Ashchurch, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
"Building the church began in 1092 and consecration followed in 1121. Many partly carved pieces of stone can be found in the walls sugesting that the building used some of the waste stone from Tewkesbury Abbey.
The first recorded service was for a confirmation in 1145 attended by the Bishop of Worcester
The church features a long nave having walls that lean outwards reminding one of a ship's hull. This is a reference to St Nicholas also being the patron saint of seamen.
During the 13th century the north aisle was added, followed by a fine, pinnacled tower in the 14th century.
The oak rood screen dividing the sanctuary from the nave dates from the 15th century. The existence of such an ancient screen is rare as many were destroyed in Cromwellian times."
St. Nicholas Church,
"To find us from the M5:
From junction 9,
Take the A46 East,
After 0.5km, a bridge crosses the railway line,
Immediately after the bridge, the view left is of the church as in the photograph on this page,
Take the left turn into the church drive opposite the school.
To find us from Evesham:
Take the A46 towards Tewkesbury,
2km after the roundabout with the A435 to Cheltenham note the large army camp on the right,
Immediately after the army camp, turn right into the church drive just beyond the pedestrian crossing."
Always check with the venue directly for up-to-date information including opening times and admission charges as they may be subject to change
For further travel information please see: www.traveline.info
Or call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33
(Calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company's access charge)