Wells Cathedral, Somerset, BA5 2UE
"Unlocked, disabled toilet facilities are provided in two toilet blocks inside the Cathedral (one by the exit, one in the Friends Building)
Public access to Wells Cathedral is via the main entrance in the New Entrance Cloister which has a level floor surface, and then via the West Cloister to a ramp with handrail adjacent to 5 steps giving access to the main Cathedral floor which has a level surface throughout providing access to all areas except the Chapter House and Library, although visitors are reminded that as with any historic building some areas of paving have become worn unevenly over time.
For services and events outside of opening hours access for visitors is either via the North West door in the West Front which has a ramp, or via the South West door in the West Front which has a single step and restricted access internal porch.
To exit the Cathedral the access route is the same except in the New Entrance Cloister where instead of the using the main entrance visitors are directed to the main exit with a ramp.
Access to the Chapter House is only via a steep set of 31 steps with a handrail to the lower section, which again due their historic nature have been subject to uneven wear over time. Access to the Library is via a restricted width spiral staircase of 28 steps in total.
For other areas of the Cathedral, access around the Cloisters is via the entrance ramp with handrail in the West Cloister or a narrow historic doorway and 6 steps in the East Cloister
Access to the central Palm Churchyard is via 3 shallow steps from the West Cloister, or 2 steep steps from the East Cloister. Access to the Camery Garden is via a ramp. Access to the Cathedral café on the first floor of the New Entrance Cloister is by a lift adjacent to the main exit with space for or one wheelchair, or a flight of 16 stairs with a handrail.
Please call 01749 674483 to confirm access arrangements to any other buildings including offices within the Cathedral.
Visitor leaflets are available in 11 languages. The UK leaflet is also available in Braille and in Large Print (copies available inside the Cathedral).
Wheelchair facilities are available on arrival (subject to availability) and can also be pre-booked by calling 01749 672773.
Spaces are reserved for wheelchair users and their companions in Cathedral services and concerts. These cannot be pre-booked but sidespeople will provide assistance on arrival.
Induction loop: The Cathedral is equipped with a hearing loop system that covers microphones within the Nave and Quire of the main Cathedral floor, which is used at all services for spoken word elements. A portable hearing loop system is also provided for spoken word services within the Lady Chapel.
Guide dogs, hearing dogs and assistance dogs are welcome in the Cathedral at all times. Other dogs are welcome in the Cathedral providing they are on a lead, well-behaved and accompanied at all times by their owner(s). There is no provision for dogs to be left with staff or volunteers and any dogs who bark consistently or are in distress/are disruptive can be asked to leave with their owners. Dogs are not allowed on any tour that goes above ground-level (which includes the Library and High Parts Tours). Water bowls are available in the Cathedral and dog biscuits are available for sale in the cafe.
Dementia care: Staff and volunteers have received training in Dementia Care, in partnership with the City of Wells Dementia Action Alliance.
Special Schools: Special Schools are very welcome at the Cathedral; we offer multi-sensory tours in very small groups and use of our secure Education Suite. Please click here for more information.
Disabled parking provided by the local authority is available in the indicated parking bays on Cathedral Green Road and elsewhere throughout the City of Wells. For information on disabled parking in Wells please visit the Mendip District Council website here. Parking for those with disabilities is available on Cathedral Green, subject to availability
For large groups arriving by coach or minibus please call 01749 674483 to confirm access arrangements for a drop off point adjacent to the West Front of the Cathedral. Disabled WC facilities are located in the public toilets at the East end of the South Cloister and the café toilets adjacent to the main exit."
Wells Cathedral is an Anglican cathedral in Wells, Somerset, England, dedicated to St Andrew the Apostle and seat of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, whose cathedra it holds as mother church of the Diocese of Bath and Wells. Built in 1176–1450 to replace an earlier church on the site since 705, it is moderately sized for an English cathedral. Its broad west front and large central tower are dominant features. It has been called "unquestionably one of the most beautiful" and "most poetic" of English cathedrals.
Its Gothic architecture is mostly in Early English style of the late 12th – early 13th centuries, lacking the Romanesque work that survives in many other cathedrals. Building began about 1175 at the east end with the choir. Historian John Harvey sees it as Europe's first truly Gothic structure, breaking the last constraints of Romanesque. The stonework of its pointed arcades and fluted piers bears pronounced mouldings and carved capitals in a foliate, "stiff-leaf" style. Its Early English front with 300 sculpted figures, is seen as a "supreme triumph of the combined plastic arts in England". The east end retains much ancient stained glass. Unlike many cathedrals of monastic foundation, Wells has many surviving secular buildings linked to its chapter of secular canons, including the Bishop's Palace and the 15th-century residential Vicars' Close. It is a Grade I listed building.
Cathedral Green, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2UE
"Wells is easily reached by both car and public transport. Situated approximately 20 miles from Bath, Bristol and Bristol International Airport, it is the perfect location from which to explore the beautiful county of Somerset.
From M5 North – take M4, M32, A37, A39
From M5 South – leave at Junction 23 and take A39
From South East – take A303, A36, A361, A371
Driving time from Bath and Bristol is approximately 40 minutes
As Wells is a medieval market town, many of its roads are not suitable for street parking. We recommend that you park in one of the three long-stay Pay and Display car parks which are within a few minutes’ walking distance of Wells Cathedral:
Union Street Car Park, BA5 2PU: approx. 6 min walking time.
Princes Road Car Park, BA5 2DT: approx. 10 min walking time.
Tucker Street Car Park, BA5 2HG: approx. 12 min walking time
You may also find this website useful from Mendip District Council, which shows all the parking available in Wells including Blue Badges and this car parks one that details fees and durations of stay.
Parking for those with disabilities is available on Cathedral Green, subject to availability.
The Coach Park is located in Princes Road BA5 2DT, a Pay and Display long stay car park. Signage is plentiful from whichever direction you enter Wells.
If you have passengers who are less mobile and wish to visit the top end of the City where the Market Place, the Cathedral, Bishop’s Palace and Vicars’ Close are located, a setting down point is in Sadler Street BA5 2RR which is central to all the mentioned attractions. Signs to the setting down point are also plentiful from whichever direction you enter the city. Please note that the setting down point is time limited and only for setting down and picking up. After dropping off, please follow the signs to the Coach Park in Princes Road."
Always check with the venue directly for up-to-date information including opening times and admission charges as they may be subject to change
Cathedral Opening Times 7am - 6pm daily. A full schedule of public worship can be found on the Services and Music List page https://www.wellscathedral.org.uk/worship-and-music/
Shop: 10.00am - 5.00pm Mon-Sat; 11.00am - 3.00pm Sunday
Café: 11.00am - 3.00pm Daily
For further travel information please see: www.traveline.info
Or call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33
(Calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company's access charge)
Baby changing facilities.
Wells Cathedral’s Chained Library was built over the East Cloister following instructions in the will of Bishop Bubwith who died in 1424. It was the largest medieval library in England when it opened in the 1450s. It is one of only four such chained libraries in the country. The Reading Room was created in 2002 in order to allow much wider access to the post 1800 books and journals.